Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Just landed



Greetings from Letzeburg, aka Luxembourg!

Landed yesterday. The flight went fine, including the little matter of 11 kilos of excess baggage! Had to pay though, but it wasn't as much as I feared. It was fun, carting the "black 'ole" after me, tottering and careening, out of the airport towards a taxi. The poor bloke who drove the cab must've given himself a hernia, hauling it into the trunk. But he was brave ... never emitted a sound, except for a little groan.

The studio hotel, the "meerkat 'ole" for the nearest future, is situated near the raiway station, in local parlance - Gare. Hence the presence of a slightgly shadowy and seedy element in the streets surrounding it. My hotel is right next to an "awful low boozer" (quoting "our Rose" from Keeping up Appearances} and a couple of times I've had to navigate through a swarm of happy drunks, just entering or exiting the said boozer. But not to worry: as one of my pals said - even the bums here are extremely well behaved!

The first impressions of my room weren't shining.  Again, seedy was the word that came to mind. But after establishing that the internet connection is working and having a proper look around, it started to look promising. In fact, I feel it growing on me. It has a little entrance hall, with a place to hang the overcoats (very important feature! as we are talking of just one room, cupboard space is essential). A few steps lead to the shower-room cum loo. This is a room I'm particularly fond of. It has a French window which I can open and then it doubles as a smoking-room. Perfect! Although I smoke, I don't like doing it in a living space.

The room itself has a large cupboard (massive, of dark wood planks, in a French country style). A little desk, if the same material. A leather easy chair and a leather chair. I'm partial to leather! There's a single bed and a TV! What else does a body need? A bit monkish (or in my case nunnish, hehe) but it'll do for the time being. Meerkat 'ole seems an appropriate name!

Yesterday, as soon as I had unpacked, I had a serious mission to take care of. As I am in Central Europe now, the local customs in re working hours are a bit different (or, oh heck! who am I kidding? cardinally different!). Meaning: yes, there are shops! of coursed there are shops, and plenty! But they close exactly the same time as everyone else stops work - about 18.00. And on holidays ... forget it! Closed! Even the food stores!

So I made a mad dash to collect everything necessary to set up a household, things that I possibly couldn't have taken with me such as dishwashing liquid, a mop, soap, etc. You get the idea! As well as some stocks to tide me over ... peanut butter and jelly, a bottle of wine and another of Jagermeister, a German herb liquor that is purely medicinal. I felt entitled!

In the evening my colleague K called and invited me to dinner. I navigated through the empty and darks streets of Luxembourg and got properly lost! Not even a drunk to ask the way from! Only myself and my trusted map. I don't know how, but exactly at the moment when I was thinking that now I'm really lost, I looked up and what do I see on the other side of the street than the restaurant that I was looking for! Now that's remarkable!

Another colleague had driven over for the May Day weekend with her hubby and 2 kiddies, and they were staying at K's place. We went there after dinner and I got a look at how the "other half" lives. And let me tell you ... that was no 'ole, meerkat or otherwise! More of a palace! A jacuzzi in the bathroom, for chrissakes! And hardwood floors, and the latest kitchen fixtures, etc. K got it after another colleague moved to a house. But it's a bit too pricey for my taste, and I can surely live without all those "extras" ... they charge extra for the extras!  I'd rather have more left from my salary to go travelling or get myself a car or ... But the remarkable thing is that on a salary like ours, it's possible to have such a place to live!

Today I went on a short scouting trip to discover Old Luxembourg. I have to say, it's very very beautiful! Everything is of the right proportion to my eyes, not too big and not too little. The colours of the houses are pleasing to the eye. It's elegant, but not over the top. Cosy but not too petit bourgeoise. And the weather is perfect, about 20 degrees ... everything is bright green except for the part that is violet, white or yellow due to it being in bloom. And there are trees that I haven't seen before! They have huge pink blossoms! I have no idea what they are. Their branches are very knobbly ...

As I joined the hundreds of other revellers, slowly ambling through the streets of the old town, I suddenly found myself in the central square that had been turned into a May fair ... and what a fair it was! Dozens of booths, each selling another delicay! The aromas of grilled meat, freshly baked bread and coffee hung thick in the air, mixed with more outlandish smells of incence, masalas and curry.

I had just thought, as I was entering the square, slightly worried, that I had not taken enough of a wonderful medicine called Horse Liniment with me (it is actually a balm made for our four legged friends, but it works wonders on us humans as well ... back aches, torn ligaments, its priceless!) And I look up and what do I see? A man selling Pferdebalsam! I couldn't believe my eyes!

After procuring a pot of the said liniment, I moved along, and within a few steps, noticed a women's clothing store that I had heard so much about! Another miracle! The thing is that yours truly is a bit "wide around the verandah" which makes it hard for me to find fitting blouses and jackets, so I have to resort to the "big girls section" in this. That I should find this shop, simply like that! My band of angels and other well-meaning and hard-working spirits are clearly doing overtime! And, as if this was not enough, they let me find 2 immovable property agencies on my way that I will visit soon to find a more posh meerkat 'ole for myself. But not just yet. I'll wait until I get the first salary.

Tomorrow, I'll explore the oldest part of the town, called the Grund, or the ground. It's in a valley of the River Petrusse that looks quite like a moat around the  ole town. It's really very, very deep down, and looks rather romantic! But that will be tomorrow.

Today, I'll stay in for the night and experiment with the microwave oven! Another "first" experience :))))

Meerkat signing off from sunny Luxembourg!

No comments:

Post a Comment