Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Tell me, what is it like to die?

There's one more story to tell in connection to Mothers' Day.

My father had just died suddenly of a massive coronary. My mother was heartbroken ... gutted. 

Both of them had been self-proclaimed atheists so, to my mom, there was none of the comfort available that religion can bring. I tried to feed her my own type of spirituality, my own understanding of death and dying but that didn't go down too well. Looking back, I rather understand why ...

What nonsense, she said. He didn't WANT to die! And I want him back, not some spirit to hang around the house. I want HIM. 

One afternoon when I came by, my mom met me with the strangest expression on her face. 

She said: you know, your father just showed me what it is like to die. 

She had fallen asleep on the couch and seen: it is twilight. She is sitting on the beach with my dad. The sun is setting, it is very quiet and breathtakingly beautiful. She asks him, in her mind: tell me, what is it like to die? 

A fine pearly mist begins to rise from the sea, slowly moving towards the shore. She leans against him, putting her head in his lap. A feeling of indescribably joy and serenity envelops her. 

So this is what it's like, she thinks ... and wakes up.

"So this is what it's like," she keeps repeating, over and over again, a look of incredulous wonder on her face. 

This photo reminded me of that incident. 


1 comment: